Let's talk Crystal Basics
If your reading this post then its a fair guess you properly own at least 1 crystal. But if you're like me your crystal ownership journey started simply with the purchase of a tumbler stone and now crystals seem to be creeping into all area's of the home. With crystal tumblers, raw & chips, crystal caves, crystal status, crystal pendulums, crystal jewellery, crystal essences in scents (perfumes & sprays) the list goes on.
When you first obtained your crystals you may have been told to cleanse them before using them. Also, that they should be cleansed on a regular basis because they absorb a range of different energies they have been exposed to (from your use or others who may have handled them). This has transferred various energies and emotions into them. The cleansing process isn't a 'physical' cleaning with soap and water. Rather an intended to cleanse the stone of its stored energies. There are almost as many ways to cleanse crystals as they are crystals. Methods include smudging, salt water, dry salt, non-contact salt,crystal druse, crystal bed, Geode or Crystal Cluster and visualization. Thanks to Hibiscus Moon, I can now add cleansing with music...............I think this is my new favourite one
For steps on how to cleanse your crystal keep reading.
1) Salt Water Suitable crystals can be left to soak in sea water or water mixed with sea salt. Cooking salt can also be used if sea salt/water is not available. You should fill a glass bowl (not metal) about half to one third full and place your crystals so they are fully submerged in the salt water for anywhere between 1 to 24 hours. Many people leave them in salt water overnight but a crystal that needs a much deeper and more thorough cleansing can be left for up to 1 week. You should thoroughly rinse your crystals in cool running water after spending time in salt water to remove any remaining salt. After use, the salt water must be flushed away and never re-used because it will have absorbed negative and unwanted energies. Salt water cleansing is considered one of the best and most thorough ways to cleanse crystals, but please be aware that this method must be avoided for certain crystals as it can have an adverse effect on them and even change their appearance and properties! Stones that should not be soaked in salt water include crystals that are porous, contain metal or have a water content, for example Opal. Stones and minerals that should be kept away from salt include Pyrite, Lapis Lazuli, Opal, Hematite, etc.
2) Dry Salt Another salt method is to half-fill a glass bowl with sea salt (or cooking salt) and place your crystals directly into the salt. Either bury them into the dry salt or leave them on the surface. They should be left in the salt for several hours, overnight or for several days. Your crystals should then be rinsed thoroughly under cool running water to remove any remaining salt. After use, the salt must be thrown away and never re-used because it will have absorbed negative and unwanted energies. Again, take care when placing your crystals directly onto dry salt as the salt can have an adverse effect on certain crystals, as explained above.
3) Non-Contact Salt This is considered the safest salt-cleansing method and should be used where the crystals may otherwise be damaged by direct contact with salt. This is also a good method if you are cleansing gem stones found in jewellery or gems surrounded by metal. First, fill a glass bowl half to two thirds full with dry sea salt (or cooking salt). Then place a smaller glass container or shallow drinking glass and half-bury this glass into the salt. You can then place your crystals directly into the empty glass which is sitting half buried in the dry salt. The salt will still be able to draw out the stored energies within the stones but this method will take longer to work than direct contact with salt. You may also pour just enough water (preferably pure, distilled or mineral water) into the smaller glass container, just enough to cover the crystals. This will protect them and prevent direct 'salt exposure' or 'salty air' from causing any corrosion or adverse effects to any metals or other fittings that may surround the gems. Also, bear in mind that certain crystals should not be left to soak in water. The used salt should be thrown away and never re-used.
4) Crystal Druse, Bed, Geode or Cluster All crystals can be cleansed safely by placing them inside an Amethyst Geode Cave overnight or for 24-48 hours. An Amethyst Druse, Cluster, or Bed can also be used in the same way. A Clear Quartz Geode, Bed or Cluster provides a faster cleansing process than Amethyst, but both methods are equally as effective. Simply place no more than a few crystals onto the crystal points and leave for anything up to 24-48 hours. These crystal cluster formations (both Amethyst and Quartz) have the ability to absorb the energies contained within crystals, neutralise the energies and then release 'good' energy from the cluster back into the crystals being cleansed, so they can effectively cleanse and energize at the same time.
5) Smudging Another popular method of cleansing crystals is by 'Smudging'. This involves burning either Smudge Sticks or Incense Sticks and holding the crystals in the smoke to cleanse the stored energies. Several types of incense are specifically recommended for this because, when burned, they release certain elements into the air via the smoke which can effectively remove bad and built-up energies. The following incense sticks are particularly recommended for effective smudging: Sage and Sweetgrass, Sandalwood or Cedarwood (available from our Web Store). A feather can be used to fan the smoke across the crystals and this only needs to be done for a short amount of time. 20 to 30 seconds should be long enough.
6) Visualization You can also use visualization or 'thought energy' to cleanse crystals. Simply hold the crystal, focus on it, and visualize a bright white light surrounding the crystal, followed by a beam of white light coming down through the stone, passing all the way through the stone, taking away stored energy within the stone. Do this until you feel happy that the white light has done its job and flushed away the stored energies. The 'thought energy' generated by you will be transmitted to the stone and this cleansing energy will do the job of clearing the stone of its stored energies.